ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT IN NEW BRUNSWICK,
NJ, AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS
There is no shortage of entertainment in Central New Jersey, with the countless events and attractions in the region. Whether you want to deepen your scientific or cultural knowledge at a museum or art gallery or see one of your favorite artists at a live concert, Central Jersey Convention & Visitors Bureau will guide you to the activities that interest you most.
Central Jersey is home to a diverse assortment of museums focusing on unique subject matters, such as geology and model railroads. Individuals interested in astronomy will enjoy stopping by the Sperry Observatory, Robert A. Schommer Observatory, or Raritan Valley Community College Planetarium. A trip to Rutgers Gardens allows you to experience the plant collections and natural areas of the 180-acre botanical garden at the university, as well as peruse the student farmer’s market.
Two distinctive museums in Central Jersey are Model Railroad Club and American Hungarian Foundation. Established in 1949, Model Railroad Club is one of the largest of its kind in North America, showcasing many model railroad and industrial exhibits, including HO scale and N scale designs. American Hungarian Foundation is the only non-profit organization of its type in the United States to provide a museum, library, and archive of over 60,000 historical records of the American-Hungarian community.
Creativity thrives in the diverse Central New Jersey community. To experience the rich culture of this region firsthand, visit one of the many art galleries in the region. Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum at Rutgers University is a must-see gallery containing over 60,000 pieces from all over the world, including Europe, Asia, and the Americas. The museum is also famous for its collection of Russian and Soviet nonconformist art.
Another excellent option is Alfa Art Gallery in New Brunswick. It showcases various types of art — oil and watercolor paintings, sculptures, and photography — from some of the most renowned artists worldwide.
- Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum – New Brunswick
- Center for Latino Arts & Culture at Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- New Brunswick Cultural Center – New Brunswick
- Raice Cultural Center – New Brunswick
- Alfa Art Gallery – New Brunswick
PERFORMING ARTS AND SHOWS
Whether you prefer attending theater or seeing your favorite musician perform live, you will find a venue offering the show you want in Central Jersey. PNC Bank Art Center in Holmdel hosts some of the globe’s hottest pop and rock stars, while the Westfield Symphony Orchestra dazzles classical music fans with concerts year-round.
Theater enthusiasts will also love being in Central New Jersey. The State Theatre in New Brunswick boasts a 1,811-seat space that delivers numerous events and programs, welcoming spectators of all ages each year. People can also visit the first producing theatre in the city, George Street Playhouse, which features classic and newly-popular Broadway musicals and plays. For a more casual night out, catch a movie at AMC Menlo Park 12 Dine-in Theatre in Edison.
- AMC Menlo Park 12 Dine In Theatre – Edison
- PNC Bank Art Center – Holmdel
- East Brunswick Cultural Arts Center – Playhouse 22 – East Brunswick
- InSpira Performing Arts and Culture Center – New Brunswick
- Mason Gross Preforming Arts – New Brunswick
- American Repertory Ballet / Princeton Ballet – New Brunswick
- State Theatre – New Brunswick
- George Street Playhouse – New Brunswick
- Crossroads Theatre – New Brunswick
- Barron Arts Center – Woodbridge
- Cabaret Theatre Company – New Brunswick
- Forum Theatre Art Center – Metuchen
- Villagers Theatre – Somerset
- Union County Preforming Arts Center – Rahway
- Cranford Dramatic Club – Cranford
- New Jersey Youth Theatre – Westfield
- Westfield Community Players – Westfield
- Woodbridge Music on Main Street – Woodbridge
- Freehold Summer Concert Series – Freehold
- Plays-In-the Park – Edison
- Kean Stage – Union
- Westfield Symphony Orchestra – Westfield
- Plainfield Symphony Orchestra – Plainfield
- Stress Factory – New Brunswick
- Raritan Valley Planetarium – Branchburg
- Live Nation Premium Seating – Holmdel
- Starland Ballroom – AEG Live – Sayreville
- TapSnap, Photo Booth Rental Company – Hillsborough
- Wine & Design – Milltown
- Woodbridge Community Center – Woodbridge
Outside of the arts, Central New Jersey provides several activities for sports buffs. You can visit one of the public or private golf courses scattered across Middlesex County. Or, go to Rutgers University to cheer on one of the athletic teams competing in the Big Ten Conference for football, basketball, soccer, and many other sports. And don’t miss your chance to take in live minor league baseball at the Somerset Patriots.
After spending the day visiting museums and art galleries and attending musical events, you will need a place to eat. Luckily, Central Jersey has multiple restaurants offering diverse cuisine. Although the region is most known for delicious Italian options, particularly pizza, it has many cafes and charming brunch spots, as well. If you are looking for fine dining and nightlife, try the downtown section of New Brunswick, which is home to exceptional diners, walk-ins, and high-end establishments.
LODGING NEAR ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT ATTRACTIONS
With more than 50 hotels in Middlesex County alone, you are sure to find accommodations nearby the arts and entertainment in the area. Whether you want a luxurious resort with first-class dining and spa options or cost-effective yet comfortable lodging, Central Jersey has the hotel you and your party desire. Additionally, these accommodations are ideal for all types of travelers, from families with young children to older couples and college students.
DISCOVER MORE ABOUT ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT IN CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
No matter your interests, you will find an engaging event or activity in Middlesex County, NJ, to fill your time. To ensure residents and travelers locate attractions that interest them, Central Jersey Convention & Visitors Bureau offers current and pertinent information on various New Jersey attractions. Contact us today to learn more about arts and entertainment in New Brunswick, NJ, and the surrounding areas or to plan your stay.